Community Support Specialist
The Community Support Specialist will have a positive and healthful approach to working with families in the community. Primary responsibilities will be initiating contact with clients, working in clients’ home to ensure safety, providing life management skills, assess and address family risk factors. The position requires a flexible schedule to meet family needs in the 4-county area.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide services specific to the needs of the family and service plan, such as role modeling, instruction, support, advocacy, and supervision
- Address relevant topics and issues with families, including child care issues, parenting, budgeting, homelessness and/or home management, nutrition, and employment issues
- Maintain contact with referral sources to discuss case management and progress, within the limits of confidentiality
- Conduct face-to-face interviews with families to establish the need to for services and develop a service plan, based on interviews and parenting skill assessment tools
- Provide services to families in the home and community as specified in the service plan
- Monitor family dynamics/situations, and provide assistance/support
- Provide parents with parent-child interaction skills and home management skills
- Initiate interventions such as calling police, informing referral source, and making a referral to Protective Services, as necessary and within legal requirements
- Provide court testimony regarding the client case, as requested
- Provide transportation for clients as necessary and within the scope of the service plan
- Complete client paperwork in a timely manner
- Complete all reporting requirements as outlined by MDHHS contract
- Meet with MDHHS staff to discuss cases for continuation or closure
- Work independently to complete assignments and tasks
- Travel to Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga and Ontonagon Counties
- Attend all necessary training
- Other duties assigned
- BS or BA in a Human Services field. Experience or knowledge in crisis intervention, training, and program development recommended. Ability to provide leadership in the community on issues related to parenting assistance is essential. Excellent communication, planning, and organizational skills are necessary for success in this position.
- Valid Current Driver’s License
- Reliable Transportation
- Necessary car insurance to meet grant specifications
- Previous experience working with families.
Typical Work Schedule
- 40 Hours Per Week. Some Evenings & Weekend Hours Required.
Position Classification, Wage Scale and Other Benefits
- Full Time, Non-Exempt Position
Copper Shores is committed to offering a competitive compensation and benefit package including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage along with a supplemental life and disability coverage; 401k contribution, paid time off, and a competitive salary that’s expected to be between $17.50 to $24.00 per hour, based on experience level and mileage reimbursement based on the current IRS rate.
Copper Shores Meals on Wheels acknowledge that the Employee’s employment is and shall continue to be at-will, as defined under applicable law. If the Employee’s employment terminates for any reason, the Employee shall not be entitled to any payments, benefits, damages, awards or compensation other than as provided by this Agreement, or as may otherwise be established under the Company’s then existing employee benefit plans or policies at the time of termination.
Equal Opportunity Employer Disclosure
The qualifications and specifications mentioned above are intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind of level or difficulty. The position will be filled based on qualifications regardless of Race, Color, Disability, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, National Origin, Height, Weight, Age, Veteran, or Marital Status.
Mail or email cover letter and resume to:
Human Resource Director/Compliance
Copper Shores Community Health Foundation
400 Quincy Street
P.O. Box 299
Hancock, MI 49930
Application review will begin immediately and the position will remain posted until filled.