Copper Shores Community Health Foundation views grants as financial awards that assist organizations in the implementation or support of new or existing programs, projects or services. Grant applicants design projects with measurable goals and outcomes, which serve a health need in the community.
To be eligible to apply for a Copper Shores grant or other means of financial support, the applicant must:
- Be recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization; a local unit of government; or a public institution of education.
- Note: Applicants must be current with their IRS tax exempt organization determination and have a current License to Solicit Charitable Contributions (unless exempt under MC 400.283.).
- Be domiciled in Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw and/or Ontonagon counties in Michigan, and serve the citizens of the same.
- Have filed their most recent 990, 990-EX or 990-N filing.
- Have a certified financial audit or reviewed financial statements as required by state law; (Note: For all nonprofits with annual gross receipts of $250K or less, Copper Shores requests CPA prepared complied financial statements for their most recently completed fiscal year).
- Have adequate and demonstrated organizational capacity to successfully execute the proposed grant, including all reporting requirements.
Please view our Grant Policy and Guidelines (PDF) for complete information regarding eligibility.
Not sure if you're eligible? Complete our eligibility questionnaire.
Letter of Inquiry
Copper Shores strongly encourages all interested applicants to submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) prior to submitting a grant application. While not required in order to apply for a grant, an LOI encourages understanding, collaboration and project development between Copper Shores and potential grant applicants. Please approach the LOI as an abbreviated grant proposal that Copper Shores can review to determine if a project matches the foundation's funding interests and is suitable for formal grant consideration. Copper Shores will follow-up with all organizations regarding their inquiry within one month.
Letter of Inquiry Form (PDF)
Targeted Requests for Proposals (RFP)
Non-RFP Grant Requests
Copper Shores will accept applications on an on-going basis that align with Copper Shores' goals and are dependent on resources available.
Please complete the Request for Funding Application (available below). All questions must be answered. If the question does not apply to your grant, the question should be answered “not applicable.” Make sure your application is submitted at least two months in advance of your project start date. Copper Shores will not consider incomplete applications.
Grant Reporting Forms
All grantees, following a customized reporting schedule, must track and report to Copper Shores on their project goals and desired outcomes. The type of report required depends on the size of the grant, some organizations may need to submit multiple grant reports while others may need to submit only a follow-up report.
Amending a Grant Award
Copper Shores recognizes that grantees may need to make changes to their grant such as a budget or timeline amendment. In those cases, grantees are required to submit a Grant Amendment Request Form.
- Grant Amendment Form (PDF)
Community Recreation and Facilities request for proposal
Copper Shores recognizes the important role recreational facilities play in our community’s ability to live an active, healthy lifestyle and the overall contribution to quality of life for our citizens. It is the intention that these funds would ideally be used as matching monies to leverage more substantial investments that will enhance and improve the recreational opportunities through a maintained or expanded built environment (buildings, trails, capital equipment).
Application deadline - March 11, 2024
Mental and Behavioral Health including Substance Use Disorder request for proposal
Copper Shores’ intention is that this RFP will fund the creation, support, and promotion of access to programs and services that educate, promote, and support individual choice of healthful activities and behaviors, raise awareness and education about unhealthful behaviors, and promote collaboration and connection between prevention and other mental health needs in the community.
LOI deadline - April 2, 2024
Application deadline - May 13, 2024
Apply for a Grant now
Below is a link to our grant application. It is a fillable PDF you can either complete digitally or print and submit to Copper Shores.
All applications must meet the criteria stated in the RFP and be received by the application due date to be considered for granting.
Grant Proposal Assistance
Copper Shores welcomes conversations with potential grant applicants. If you have an idea or project you are interested in obtaining funding for, are looking for ways to collaborate with us or are in need of assistance with your grant application, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to guide you through the application process and offer feedback. Please consider submitting a Letter of Inquiry.
Proposal Development Award from BCBSM Foundation
We also want to make sure non-profits are aware of the Proposal Development Award from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation. This program helps nonprofit, community-based service organizations develop proposals to seek funding for health care projects. It offers awards up to $3,500 to help nonprofits with the development of new grant proposals. Learn more at bcbsm.com.
Previous RFP Grant Requests
In the past, Copper Shores released the following RPF’s (check back to this page for updates, or subscribe to our email newsletter):
- Food Pantry / Emergency Food Assistance Small Grant (deadline was November 3, 2023)
- Volunteer Emergency Services Grant (deadline was May 19, 2023)
- Mental and Behavioral Health Services (deadline was May 12, 2023)
- Small Grants (The deadline was April 14, 2023)
- Community Recreation and Facilities Request for Proposals (The deadline was March 17, 2023)
- Food Pantry / Emergency Food Assistance Small Grant Program (The deadline was October 24, 2022, read what the RFP funded)
- AED Grant Program (The deadline was September 16, 2022, read what RFP funded)
- Volunteer Emergency Services Grant Program (The deadline was May 18, 2022, read what the RFP funded)
Please contact us with any questions you may have regarding any portion of the grant process.